At Leasowes Primary School, we greatly value the importance of the Early Years Foundation Stage (EYFS) in providing a secure foundation for future learning and development. We aim to ensure that each child has a happy and positive start to their school life in which they can build a foundation for a love of learning.
We seek to provide:
- Quality and consistency, so that every child makes good progress and all children are given the same opportunity to improve on their learning.
- A secure foundation through learning and development opportunities which are planned around the needs and interests of each child and are assessed and reviewed regularly.
- Partnership working between practitioners and parents.
- Equality of opportunity and anti-discriminatory practice, ensuring that every child is included and supported.
The EYFS consists of two Reception classes each with a cohort of 30 children. There is a team to two Reception class teachers and two full time teaching assistants. We also work closely with the Nursery staff in Leasowes Extra.
We follow the EYFS curriculum which consists of seven areas of learning:
The ‘Prime’ areas of learning and development are:
- Communication and Language
- Physical Development
- Personal, Social and Emotional Development
The ‘Specific’ areas of learning and development are:
- Understanding the World
- Expressive Arts and Design
Below you will find further information about the EYFS curriculum and how it is delivered at Leasowes.